Friday, October 10, 2008
Are Hedge Fund Margin Calls Leading to Stock Rout?
Hedge fund margin calls appear to be playing a role, perhaps a substantial one, in the precipitous fall in stock prices. One hedge fund manager told us yesterday that a West Coast hedge fund was supposed to have dumped a lot of risky fixed income positions late in the day yesterday. That affected the stock market over the fear that the distressed prices its paper was fetching would force banks and other financial firms to mark similar assets down, leading to further losses.
But some believe that hedge funds are also liquidating stocks. And this research note claims that some prime brokers have arbitrarily tightened their margin requirements, This is not only plausible, but it has happened before.
From Bull's Eye Research (hat tip reader Marshall):
The selling has reached historic proportions. There literally is a "run on the market," as investors worldwide are dumping stocks. It seems that the major catalyst for this selling is the fact that the newest large banks primarily J. P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, and possibly Morgan Stanley as well -- have issued massive margin calls to hedge funds and other professional traders who use these banks as prime brokers.
These calls were not issued because of market losses, but more because the banks arbitrarily decided that they wanted their customers to use less leverage. Margin rates as low as 15% for broker dealers were raised to 35%; hedge funds who had been used to operating on high leverage were told that they had to bring accounts up to a much larger percentage of equity.
In this illiquid environment, where all manor of exotic securities literally have no bids, the only place to raise the cash to meet margin calls was to sell stock. That is what really set this market over the edge -- as the first notice of these calls were issued on October 2nd and 3rd. There was something of a grace period to meet the calls, but funds realized they weren't going to be able to meet them other than by selling stock. There are rumors that the most massive of the calls are due Monday (October 13th). If so, this market could continue to decline through then.
Topics: Hedge funds, Investment outlook
Larry McMillan's options advisory service
Sunday, October 12, 2008
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (113)
- ► 2010 (319)
- ► 2009 (543)
- QQQQ Analysis
- BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Happy Halloween!!!!!!
- FXP Looks Ready Turn?
- Coiled Up
- VIX Breakdown
- Note To Self:
- VIX Refuses To Give Up The Line
- Yet Another Inverse ETS Update: Supports Holding
- Bo Yoder
- Inverse Funds Update
- It's Baked Into The Cake
- OUCH! Calling It A Month!
- Inverse Funds Setups Update
- Same Ol Same Ol: Another Sucker's Rally
- Inverse Funds Setting Up Again: Video 4: Sorry for...
- Got Shorts?
- She Could Be Our President!
- The Stock Market Exposes Another Loser!
- Disappointing Day For The Bulls
- Charts Hinting At A Possible Rally Brewing
- My Game Plan Today
- You Have Benn Warned!
- VIX! Oh BOY!
- Short Setup To Watch
- VXN Falling Wedge Update
- IT'S ELECTION TIME!!!!!
- Video 2: Update On Inverse Funds
- AAPL Earnings!!!!!!! WOW!!!!
- Inverse ETFs Closing Numbers Update
- What Rallies Look Like These Days
- Inverse ETFs Mid Day Update
- Market Update
- Bo Yoder Newsletter
- Point and Figure Charts Paints The Picture
- Are You Ready?? CNBC Faces Will Look THIS!!!
- Short ETFS 60 Min Charts Setting Up: These Are Ver...
- Should Cramer Be FIRED???????
- YOU MUST WATCH THIS CHART!!!!
- VIX Chart Finally Topping Out?? :-( :-( :-(...
- Interview With One Of The First Guys To predict Th...
- Reading Around The Blogs
- Smart Sitting On The Sidelines
- Stock To Watch Tmrw
- What A Shame To Miss Today
- You Need To Read This To Understand What Is Leadin...
- Thanks For Voting Everyone!
- Examples Of The Weak Reversals I AM Seeing
- I Apologize For Talking Shit About This Man
- VIX Update: But Does This Indicator Really Mean An...
- I AM NOT CONVINCED
- US Dollar Breaking Out Now!
- Ummm yea. I Have The Right To Be Wrong.
- Thanks For The VOTES!!!
- Update On Recent Short Setups
- UYG Update: UYG Price Target $5---- SKF EXPLODING!...
- I got a notice the short ban had been extended to ...
- Expect Irony Tommorrow
- VIX Looks Toppy here. Could See A Short Term low ...
- US Dollar Starting To Look Toppy
- FED Intervenes! I Wish They Would Have Waited And ...
- Prediction: We Drop To 8500 On The DOW TODAY!
- Futures Pointing To Yet Another Crash Open
- All Eyes On Dem Financials Tomorrow
- Rock The VOTE!!
- Financials Breakdown Update: YIKES!!
- I Have Feeling
- VIX Monthly Chart Since 1990
- Classic Images: Off The Yahoo Front Page
- VIX Update
- US Dollar Topping Out?
- Short Setups and Breakdowns
- Barring Any FED Rate Cut Or Major PPT Maneuvering....
- A Previous Post Revisited: How The 2002 Bear Ended...
- Short Setups
- BE Very Careful PLEASE.
- Just A Gut Feeling
- Trading The Open: Why Trading The Open Can Yield N...
- ▼ October (79)
- ART OF TRADING Premium Site
- Charting Trends blog
- Finance Trends bog
- It's Gold
- Keep Unread Blog
- momentum trader
- My Trader Interview
- Mystic Stocks
- NYC Trader
- Rant About It Blog
- stock rook goes pro
- Stock Virtual
- The Market Guardian
- Todds Trade
- trader market blog
- Trader9999 blog
- Trading Momentum blog
- Trading With Average Jay
- Wall Street Warrior