Primary Bear Market
Stage 1. Distribution
Just as accumulation is the hallmark of the first stage of a primary bull market, distribution marks the beginning of a bear market. As the "smart money" begins to realise that business conditions are not quite as good as once thought, and thus they begin to sell stock. There is little in the headlines to indicate a bear market is at hand and general business conditions remain good. However stocks begin to lose their lustre and the decline begins to take hand. After a moderate decline, there is a reaction rally that retraces a portion of the decline. Hamilton noted that reaction rallies during a bear market were quite swift and sharp . This quick and sudden movement would invigorate the bulls to proclaim the bull market alive and well. However the reaction high of the secondary move would form and be lower than the previous high. After making a lower high, a break below the previous low, would confirm that this was the second stage of a bear market.
Stage 2. Movement With Strength
As with the primary bull market stage two of a primary bear market provides the largest move. This is when the trend has been identified as down and business conditions begin to deteriorate. Earnings estimates are reduced, shortfalls occur, profit margins shrink and revenues fall.
Stage 3. Despair
At the final stage of a bear market all hope is lost and stocks are frowned upon. Valuations are low, but the selling continues as participants seek to sell no matter what. The news from corporate America is bad, the economic outlook is bleak and no buyers are to be found. The market will continue to decline until all the bad news is fully priced into the stocks. Once stocks fully reflect the worst possible outcome, the cycle begins again.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (58)
- ► 2011 (113)
- ► 2010 (319)
- ► 2009 (543)
- Market Analysis and Setups
- Dealing With Losses By Price Headley
- Markets Unwinding Over Sold Levels By Drifting Hig...
- Gary Kaltbaum NewsLetter
- Stocks Hitting 52 Week Highs In a Bearish Market
- No Bottom Quite Yet. Will be On Double Bottom Watc...
- SHORTS SHORTS SHORTS!!! It's Gonna Get Active Next...
- GS Analysis
- BIDU Short Setup
- Anatomy of HG Trade: Enjoy!
- Two Nice Holy Grail (HG) Setups that Took Place To...
- No Setups for Tmrw, but i will be Hunting Holy Gra...
- Comp 60 Min. Breakout.
- Market Analysis: Strong Move Off the Lows on Volum...
- Day Trades Taken Today
- RSI/MACD Divergence at Double Bottom Called the Re...
- Update on AKS Short
- AKS potenial Short
- Short Setups
- Believe it OR not!
- Not What You Want to See in a So Called Bottom
- Closed out my SKF position on the moring gap down ...
- Futures Point to Crash Open on Tuesday
- Latest COT numbers show Smart Money Net Buyers Las...
- Bo Yoder Trader Thoughts
- ONE CHART TONIGHT but it should speak volumes. Enj...
- The HOLY GRAIL SETUP EXPLAINED
- VXN Update
- VIX Update
- H&S Topping Formations in MTL and BIDU
- Professional trader Mike Paulenoff Analysis of DXD...
- Index Charts and Analsys
- EEM Analysis
- PLEASE NOTE: My friend Ragin Cajun has asked me to...
- SP500 Analysis
- ICE Short Setup: Swing Short
- Two Nice Setups
- Bo Yoder's Analysis For Next Week
- QQQQ Flagging....
- Nasdaq Measured Move Achieved
- XAU chart
- SRS Falling wedge: Watch Carefully for a breakout....
- Index Charts
- NOTE TO SELF:
- We have ALL read this but it's Important to Read i...
- GOOG and BIDU Setups
- Top Trader Alan Farley Says:
- RIMM Setup
- Counter Trend Rally Set To take Place
- VIX ***VIX**** VIX!
- Index Charts and Analysis: All indexes are in Brea...
- SRS Day Trade
- Crude Topping OUT???!!!!
- Our 60 Min. Charts Poiting to Potential Rally Tmrw...
- Dow Sitting Right on Support
- Nasdaq Can Bounce Here.
- COT numbers are out and they continue to show Smar...
- Market and Leading Stocks Look Set For Even More W...
- Stages Of a Trader: By Bo Yoder
- Intra Day Mrkt Update: S&P500 testing support for ...
- I HATE this Chart even More Today!
- I HATE this Chart!!!
- Intra day Alerts
- Market Analysis coming into the new year.
- ▼ January (64)
- ART OF TRADING Premium Site
- Charting Trends blog
- Finance Trends bog
- It's Gold
- Keep Unread Blog
- momentum trader
- My Trader Interview
- Mystic Stocks
- NYC Trader
- Rant About It Blog
- stock rook goes pro
- Stock Virtual
- The Market Guardian
- Todds Trade
- trader market blog
- Trader9999 blog
- Trading Momentum blog
- Trading With Average Jay
- Wall Street Warrior